Friday, November 8, 2013

Holidays in style

Nicole Richie curated exclusively for Joss & Main the Holiday in style collection and shared with E! some of her secrets for a family celebration plus her ultimate holiday playlist.
The photo shoot took place at Lionel Richie's home.
Nicole wearing a Winter Kate blouse and vest and House of Harlow 1960 jewelry.
Nicole (in an Alexander Wang dress and Balenciaga shoes) and her sister Sofia decorating the tree
If you had to sum up your perfect house party, how would you describe it?
N: First and foremost, I break out the Polaroid cameras. I have a few that I lay out with extra film, and people love taking pictures all night. I collect rugs from different places around the world and lay them out on the ground so that we have more room to sit. We’re usually outside at my parties, so I keep several white Moroccan wedding blankets out in the event that people get cold.
What do you think is the ideal hostess gift to receive?
N: I love D.L. and Diptyque candles. But listen, I’ll take some cash!
A special table set for Harlow and Sparrow
Handpicked selections by Nicole Richie for a chic and festive winter gathering
Fresh flowers are amongst Nicole's favourite things
Home is such a great reflection of our personalities. How does your home reflect both you and your husband's styles?
N: "Who's Joel?" is my design slogan! He's tried to sneak in a few gems around the house, but they get tossed out as fast as a bottomless groupie the morning after a show! When I first moved into Joel's house, the entire house was dark and gothic. There are elements of gothic that I love. We kept the skulls, the crosses, everything he loves—and contrasted the pieces with more feminine pieces. But I said to him, "Let me do my thing. You don't even really care. I promise at the end of the day, you'll love it." It's all about manipulation!
The Richie living room
As a born-and-bred Californian living in Laurel Canyon, how does your location influence your décor?
N: My dream was always to live in a tree house in Laurel Canyon, and turn it into a warm, family home. I think I got as close to that as possible. You can hear music playing from people's houses at night.
Do you have any new traditions you've instilled for your own holidays at home?
N: We are pretty traditional in this department. We go as a family to pick a tree, Joel and I argue about getting the tree delivered because he doesn't want to pay the fee, we decorate it as a family while listening to holiday music. I want Christmas to be the magical fantasy for my children that it was for me.
Are there any favorite spaces—hotels, boutiques, even museums—that have a visual style that you find especially inspiring?
N: As a little girl, my piano recitals every year were always held at the Hotel Bel-Air. It's been remodeled since, but the feel is very much the same. No one does landscaping like that hotel! And then, of course, the swans…where do I even begin?!
Nicole's holiday playlist includes:
1. "White Christmas" (Bing Crosby)
2. "Winter Wonderland" (Diana Krall)
3. "All I Want for Christmas Is You" (Mariah Carey)
4. "Baby, It's Cold Outside" (Ray Charles)
5. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (Frank Sinatra)
6. "Jingle Bell Rock" (Bobby Helms)
7. "Let It Snow" (Dean Martin)
8. "Sleigh Ride" (Ella Fitzgerald)
9. "Winter Wonderland" (Tony Bennett)
10. "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" (Bruce Springsteen)
img. The Vivant

No comments: