Sunday, September 26, 2010

Nicole Richie juggles family, fashion and new novel

Nicole Richie chatted to USA Today about her new novel, fashion, Twitter and her literary role models. Here's the interview:
Q: Your new novel Priceless follows your best seller The Truth About Diamonds.But it's not a sequel, right?
A: No, it's not. I like to close one chapter and start fresh.

Q: What's your writing routine? Early in the morning? Late at night?
A: I wake up at 5:45 and the rest of the family gets up at 7, so I have an hour in the morning. And then I have time after 7 at night to write and calm down.

Q: Do you work with anyone?
A: No, I write all my own stories.

Q: What are you reading right now?
A: I wish I were reading something. Everyone tells me about a few books I should read, but I'm rereading Tuesdays with Morrie right now. It's one of my favorites, and it's comforting to read something I've already read.

Q: Who are your literary role models? Jackie Collins? Danielle Steel?
A: Danielle Steel has been a huge mentor of mine. I look up to her. I'm lucky just to have five minutes with her. She told me not to write a sequel. She told me writing takes time and I might not be in the same place in a few years.

Q: What's next? Another novel?
A: I'm waiting to be done with my book tour first and then I can get into another creative chapter.

Q: You're a Virgo. Is that how you can have so many balls in the air at once?
A: I'm very organized. I love a good list. It's the nerd side of me. I like to be busy.

Q: Still a big Twitterer?
A: I am! It's a great way to connect with those who support my dreams and to tell them what's going on.

Q: Speaking of that, is there a sitcom in production? Will Diamonds be a TV series?
A: Not right now.

Q: Tell us about your Chuck episode which airs Oct. 4. You're back from last year! Still fighting?
A: We just wrapped that up. They had to up the ante this time around after last year's fight scene. It's longer and more intense this time. I even hurt my shoulder. It was an amazing experience.

Q: You have two fashion lines. Anything else coming down the pike?
A: We're expanding into eyewear and handbags in the spring of 2011.

Q: So, the world wants to know when you and your fiance, singer Joel Madden, are going to get married.
A: They'll just have to wait and find out.

Q: How are the kids, daughter Harlow and son Sparrow?
A: They're great. Wonderful.

Q: You've admitted you were given too much as a young child. Are you trying not to repeat that with your own children?
A: My parents were great and they gave me their heart and soul. I have to look up to them and hope to do the same, to be the best of me.

Q: Have you been in contact with your old pal and colleague, Paris Hilton?
A: I don't speak about her.

No comments: